I need to be writing. I mean I really need to be writing. My book has been on hold since the day my youngest son was born, and I absolutely, positively, need to get back to it!
Everyone says, “Well, you’ve got a pretty good excuse!” And that’s true. And don’t get me wrong, nothing is more important to me than being a mom right now. It’s just that this whole “Hopefully-I’ll-have-time-to-write-tomorrow” thing is driving me swirly-eyed cuckoo, and my kids are starting to look at me like this:
In an effort to at least get something down on paper, here is a list of things I’ve done this week instead of writing:
- Nursed the baby on the sofa.
- Checked Facebook approximately 900 billion times.
- Sat at swim team practice in rainy, 60-degree weather for my daughters, neither of whom can swim.
- Nursed the baby in a pool chair.
- Nursed the baby while jumping up from my pool chair to keep my three-year-old from falling into the big pool.
- Called out, “Yes, honey, I saw you swim!” to my daughter, who was definitely not swimming, as I nursed the baby and grabbed the toddler’s arm just millimeters from the big pool.
- Ran back to Target seventeen times because, naturally, I forgot something.
- Nursed the baby in Target’s dressing room and grocery aisles, because apparently, he never stops eating.
- Got in THREE whole work outs and showers, during which I did NOT have to nurse the baby! Yipee!
- Changed 62 diapers.
- Wasted a nap time pondering how on Earth the day went by so quickly.
- Spent approximately 15 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, and 6.2 hours applying sunscreen to children. (You didn’t know there were so many hours in the last week, did you?)
- Kissed 26 boo boos all better.
- Snuggled and sang 4 kids to sleep.
- Ate way too much delicious food on a rare date night with my husband–and registered a slight loss on the scale the next morning. Score!
- Sang the good morning song, which happens to be Uptown Funk, on the way to school, because my phone will no longer play music in my car.
- Played with my newborn baby nephew, who is just as beautiful as his lovely mama.
- Watched my 7-year-old get slightly tipsy at church because she gulped way too much wine at communion.
- Heard the baby laugh for the first time.
- Filmed the big kids performing Uptown Funk on their toy instruments to entertain the baby.
- Celebrated my nieces’ fifth birthdays!
- Heard at least 10 unsolicited “I love you mom”‘s.
- Thanked God that I get to do this every single day.
Ah, well. Some things are much better than writing. I’ll get that book done soon, though! I swear!